Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Three Causes of Dis-Ease in Ayurveda

Dis-ease is the manifestation of a disturbance in the body or mind caused by the disconnect with our own true nature. Disturbances form in the mind first, called vrittis. Since our body is connected to the conscious and subconscious thoughts of the mind, the disturbances in the mind will create dis-ease in the body. The three causes of dis-ease as outlined in the Carika Samhita are the foundation of Ayurvedic medicine, as it examines how we are acting out of line with our true nature or spirit.

The first cause of dis-ease is misusage of the senses against their constitution. Each individual has a constitutional spirit or true nature. When people take in the "wrong" things for their constitution, or too much or too little of the "right" things for their constitution, it is misusage of the senses. Our senses can lead us astray. If we are not paying attention to the subtleties of our nature, we can easily be misguided by our senses. It is easy for me to let my sense of taste misguide me. I know in my mind what is healthy and nourishing for me to eat and what is not. Yet, when I do not practice listening to my true Self, I let my sense of taste overpower me and give in to eating unhealthy foods that I know will be upsetting to my digestive system later.

When I work too much and get stressed, my ability to regulate my senses diminishes. I feel stressed and look to food for support and comfort. I take in the wrong things and too much of the right things for my constitution. I end up feeling bloated and experience gastro-intestinal problems. Over time, my body could manifest a dis-ease such as IBS or food allergies.

The second cause of dis-ease is prajnaparadha, not following what we know to be true. Our intellect guides us in making decisions, but our senses may lead us astray. When we follow what our intellect and soul tell us to be true, we are aligned with our spirit. When we follow our senses only, we move away from our true nature and this is called a crime against wisdom.

I have experienced prajnaparadha when I would be in social situations where drugs and alcohol abounded. It is easy to ignore the warnings of the soul when the senses are crying out. Using alcohol against the guidance of my soul, I have been physically sick, intoxicated, groggy, and in a malaise, due to overconsumption. These are crimes against myself and are harmful to my spiritual growth.

The third cause of dis-ease is parinama, aging due to time and motion. This is the most abstract cause of dis-ease in Ayurveda. It tells us that the passing of time is relative to the action of the mind. Biological time increases when the mind is restless. Biological time slows down or stops when the mind is focused or one-pointed.

This past October I attended a 200-hour yoga teacher training. I meditated every day for two periods of thirty minutes. I also practiced yoga twice daily for ninety minutes each time. I noted that during the entire course of the training I felt extremely healthy and at ease with my body. There was no sense of aging, stress, or worry during that month. I felt that I was witnessing my true self and living in accordance with my soul.

In contrast, when my mind is fraught with worry or overcome with stress, I note that I do feel unhealthy. I have trouble sleeping, my skin breaks out, and my digestion is weak.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Analytics